The Day My Life Changed
In July 2014 I was feeling under the weather
with generalized aches and fatigue. I had a low grade fever for a couple weeks
which I thought was odd. One night before work I kept having incredibly vivid
dreams and I was waking myself up yelling and talking. I knew I was
hallucinating from a high fever. I am an emergency department nurse and my
shift was going to start in a few hours so I needed to get it together to
figure out what I was going to do for work. My temperature actually registered
over 105° and I was hardly coherent enough to use my phone to call in sick. My
fever responded quickly to ibuprofen and Tylenol which I continued to use over
the weekend. Finally the fever broke after a few days however I was left with
joint pain in all of my joints that was so severe I could only lie in bed until
it began to ease. My left hand and elbow remained swollen, red, stiff and
painful. I began to feel better; the swelling was still present however it
would be gone by the end of the day and return when I woke. I thought/hoped it
was just a virus but my big concern was rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
I went to my
primary care provider (PCP) and had labs done. My sed rate and CRP (labs that
measure inflammation) were extremely high however my rheumatoid factor (one lab
used to diagnose RA) was negative. So we knew that I have some kind of
inflammatory process going on but no RA, at least I thought. I did not know
that much about RA. I knew my grandpa had severe RA and had deformed hands and
elbows from it but that was really it. I began reading about RA and learned
that up to 30% of people never test positive (rheumatoid factor) for RA and up
to 80% will test negative in their first year. Still I hoped I was just getting
over a virus. I continued on with my life, the joint pain continued, it was
isolated more to my fingers, hands, wrists and elbows. My fatigue was still
pretty tough to deal with. My hands were so bad that I had trouble doing
regular daily things like cooking, typing, and writing. Work was difficult; as
a nurse I perform many tasks with my hands and at times I experienced
debilitating pain.
Finally the swelling was improving and I was getting better. Then one morning I woke to blisters all over my left forearm and an
extreme amount of swelling. I also had fevers again. I went back to my PCP's
office. I was extremely concerned at this point due to the duration of the
illness. I felt like we were moving out of the window of time that it could be
a virus. At times I was not impressed with this particular doctor, she could be
argumentative and appeared to not listen well. However nurses are notorious for
being difficult patients so I try to remain open. The doctor was dismissive and
flat out said "no, you do not have RA" she checked me for every virus
possible, RF, CRP and sed rate. My RF was negative, CRP and sed rate were
elevated and I had been exposed to every virus tested in the past and was not
experiencing an active virus. I told her I wanted to see a rheumatologist and
she laughed. I was livid. Although I did find out I did not need a referral so
I found an excellent rheumatologist thanks to a recommendation one of my
favorite ER doctors.
I
saw my first rheumatologist at the end of September 2014 and she was
impressive. She listened, she was compassionate and she could read me. She told
me I was stoic which is not a good thing and that I would have to learn to
communicate with her if I wanted to get better. She also acknowledged that this
probably comes from strength and getting things done however it is not an asset
in this situation. She started me on
Plaquenil and stated she felt that it was RA. She explained that my labs could
remain negative for the rest of my life and my disease could progress despite the
labs. I saw her two months later she still felt it was RA but we waited to see
how the Plaquenil worked. By the end of December she was ready to start a
biologic. I was getting worse, I had synovial patches on my hands, my fatigue
was debilitating and the pain was seriously impacting my life. She felt we
needed to get aggressive because it seemed to be moving fast and at 42 years
old, single mom and the provider of my family we didn’t have time to wait. The first
biologic she wanted me on was Cimzia and it was denied by insurance, they
wanted me to try Simponi. I failed Simponi after 4 months. During that 4 months
I also tried methotrexate oral and injection and ended up having a
gastrointestinal bleed with it. I then started Leflunomide and once I failed
the Simponi they wanted to start Remicade. My hands have visibly deteriorated
and I felt like it was an excellent idea however my insurance disagreed. I
finally started Cimzia and continued the Leflunomide and Plaquenil.
I am doing
better than I have since that day my life changed in July 2014. I don’t think I
will ever be the same. This disease has touched every part of my life
physically and emotionally. I have grieved, I have wanted to die, I have been
so angry I could just explode. Mostly I have cried, cried because I have lost so damn much. My kids have
lost so much. I will never stop though. You never know what you will get when
you wake up with RA. Will I hurt or just be stiff, will I be so fatigued I have
to go back to bed in an hour or will I actually function today? Yes it is a
chronic illness but it treats us like the surprise of an acute illness. You
never know what it will bring tomorrow. I do know courage is required every day!
No comments:
Post a Comment